I have done a couple of questionnaires with the children, which you can find here and here, and I’ve finally gotten some time alone with my stepson in order to make him part of this series too. I plan to ask the children these questions once in a while, tracking their changes and views on life. Here’s a picture of Thing 2 and below are his responses;
1. If you could live in a house shaped like anything, what would it be?
I’m going to say, like, a few squares.
2. What do you think is in outer space?
Something that goes on forever.
3. Where is the most wonderful place you’ve ever been?
Zooz. I liked the Sky Quest. And here.
4. What are you good at?
Art, studying animals and rocks; I do study them.
5. What’s the nicest thing anyone has ever said to you?
I don’t know. “You got 100%” or something like that, in school.
6. What are you most proud of?
I’m proud of school and some project that I studied on the otter. I really liked that.
7. If you were invisible for a day, what would you do?
Eat lots of candy, I think, and stay up all night.
8. What is the worst smell in the world?
(lots of laughter) My brother, farting.
9. What do you want to be when you grow up?
Geologist… or one of those people from Marineland that do the things with the dolphins- I want to do that, with otters instead.
10. What makes you cry?
If my brother’s mean, or other people are mean.
(As a side note, he had just cried because Thing 1 attacked his guy in Minecraft)
11. Were there dinosaurs on Noah’s ark?
12. What are you scared of?
13. If you could mix any animals, what two animals would you combine?
The shark and the horse. I just think it would be funny… Or the body of a tick and the head of a dog.
14. Who is your hero?
My Dad and my brother- No real reason, just because it’s nice and because they’re people who I do things with and look up to. They always help me.
15. What is your favorite song?
Get Lucky by Daft Punk.
16. What is a friend?
A friend is someone who looks out for me and, if we have a fight, someone who will always come back. They help me do things.
17. What is your favourite memory?
When we were at the cottage, I liked going fishing and swimming together and going out for dinner at that really, really, really good place. I loved the french fries.
18. If you could be any animal, what type of animal would you be?
An otter because they pretty much get to do whatever they want.
19. Who is your best friend?
20. What is your favorite thing to do with family?
Go out for a few days, like go camping or to the cottage, or something like that.
21. What is the most important rule?
Always help people in need, or help clean up.
22. If you had a million dollars, what would you spend it on?
A house and a bunch of animals.
23. Why do people get old?
They’ve had a whole year of life, so you just get older. They get wrinkly and stuff because they’re just growing too much skin and it’s crinkling up. Your skin gets thinner and thinner so your veins start to show too.
24. What is love?
I have no idea. How many questions are there? We’re just halfway?!
Oh boy, okay…
When people get together, they eventually start liking each other and they do all these activities together, then they fall in love. It’s when two people spend all of their time together, then move in together and they get married. That’s all I’ve thought about it.
25. If your pet could talk, what would it say?
“Hello. I love you, let’s play! Take me for a walk. What do you want to do? I’m hungry- could I please have some water?”.
26. If you had super powers, what would they be?
To crawl through a computer and then be in a different place or on a different planet. Oh- and to make things float, with mind control. And splashing water at people out of NOWHERE!
27. What’s the best thing about being a kid?
You get a lot of free time and you don’t normally have to take care of anyone a lot. You also don’t have to do as much work as adults do, or even go to work. You get to just stay at home for the whole day. That’s all I’ve got.
28. Why do people have different colour skin?
Um, because of the sun- people who live where it’s really, really hot out have darker skin. People who have light skin, like white skin, have it because they don’t need the dark skin because it’s not going to be super hot and it’s not going to be really cold. Sometimes where it’s really cold, people have darker skin too… just not super dark.
29. Who is someone in history that you’d like to be friends with? Why?
Someone in Vancouver, like if they were still a kid- My Papa Dale, if he was still a kid. He’s really fun and always goes fishing with me, teaches me how to cast and helps me pull out fish too. He would be a fun friend to have. That’s all I’ve got.
30. What makes you happy when you’re sad?
My family because they always cheer me up and tell me that we’re doing exciting things together.
31. Do you have a lucky number? Why is it lucky to you?
58. It’s lucky because, whenever they tell me to pick a number between 1-100, it’s mostly a winning one and it’s an even number.
32. If you could be president for the day, what would you do?
I would tell people what to do and, uhm, make them build new houses for orphans to live in. I would make people have to adopt more orphans, to give them families so they can live nicely.
33. What is something that you don’t understand about grownups?
They always get to eat candy whenever they want and get to do whatever they want, pretty much. They get to do fun things and go to parties by themselves or have alone time, like at my other house- I don’t understand that.
34. What is the greatest thing ever invented?
The phone, the computer, a house, ovens and TVs. I can’t pick between all of those.
35. Have you ever played a joke on someone? What was it?
Once, my mother and I coloured on my brother’s face when he was sleeping to get him back for drawing on me. He had glasses and a moustache.
36. What do you think is the most important appliance or piece of furniture in your house?
The oven or stove.
37. What is your favorite word? Why?
My favourite word is “boom-boom” because it’s fun to say.
38. If you had your own country, what would it be called?
Um, Fishland, with fish everywhere.
39. What do you dream about when you sleep?
Scary things…no, wait… fun things mostly, like wave pools and going to the waterpark.
40. If you were in a band, what instrument would you play? Why?
The trumpet because I really like the sound and they’re kind of soothing. They’re really fun to play and it’s kind of like a flute- I already know how to play the flute.
41. What 3 words would you use to describe our family?
Fun, lucky and polite.
42. What’s something you’d like to learn how to do?
43. If you had to give away all of your toys but one, which one would you keep?
I’m going to say the Xbox.
44. What do you think Heaven is like?
White, with lots of clouds and it’s peaceful.
45. What is something that you’re thankful for?
My life, my family and my pets.
46. What’s the hardest thing you’ve ever had to do?
Going on a roller coaster. That’s what I answered on the “What are you afraid of?” question, because it was really hard to do because it gives you this really weird feeling. It feels like your skin is going on the back of your face- and I don’t like fast rides. You know that weird feeling that you feel when you’re on a roller coaster- I don’t like that, it’s what scares me.
47. Do you think that telling the truth is always right, even if it hurts someone’s feelings?
48. If you could change one thing about me, what would it be?
Not having that sickness thing with your heart, I don’t want you to have that.
49. What’s the greatest thing about being you?
I always get my way.
50. If you could fix any one thing about the world, what problem would you fix first?
I would make sure there were no more tornadoes or things like that happening.
If you end up using this questionnaire, feel free to shoot me your link. I would love to see what your own children come up with!